Friday, September 28, 2012

Ten Years, Five Letters



Dear E.S.,
I enjoyed being with you.
You were thoughtful and I appreciated everything so dearly.
But I was too young when we met, and I did not realize your effort to win my heart.
Forgive me for my selfishness.

Dear G.C.,
You brought me joy and I loved you passionately.
But I failed to help you move on from your past.
Thus the distance between us grew immensely through time.
I apologize for leaving you during the lowest point in your life,
because I thought you did not love me, only to find out I was wrong.

Dear M.A.,
Thank you for your devotion.
You were kind and gentle.
Your smile lit up the sky with the promise of tomorrow.
But I was too unsure of myself, too afraid I might hurt you, too naive to care.
I regret letting you go.

Dear C.P.,
We had so much in common and you are aware of that.
We had a world of our own, and we lived in it for love.
But your pace was overwhelming, my wings were not as fast.
You were too strong for me.
I wanted you to carry me but I was afraid I would slow you down.
We knew we would part someday, but we did not expect that day to come suddenly.
Now I just admire your wisdom for understanding me.

Dear M.R.,
You knew I was a foolish wreck when we met.
But you loved me for what I was and you saw the good and beautiful in me.
Then you left without saying goodbye, because you were lost in the labyrinth of your own confusion.
I tried to reach out but you were never really there.
How could you do this to me? My angel! The retribution for my sins.


- John Emmanuel T. Manalo, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment